GIS Analyst 4 - Water Business
CO-Denver, MO-Kansas City, TX-Dallas
Date published: 23-Sep-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENS
Black & Veatch’s Asset Management and Information Solutions group has grown rapidly and has an exciting opportunity for professionals interested in applying Geographic Information System (GIS) skills and technologies to the challenges of managing water, wastewater, stormwater and energy utility infrastructure. Our success has been founded on a combination of a team-centric culture and a collaborative, client-focused mentality committed to delivering technical excellence – every time! Asset management, and specifically asset management information solutions which includes technologies such as GIS, is a strategic growth area for the firm and provides exciting career possibilities and potential for interested professionals.
With minimal supervision, will function as a lead GIS Analyst/Specialist in the Planning & Asset Management Department of Black & Veatch. Position is based in Kansas City, MO; Dallas, TX; or Denver, CO. Position provides GIS and Information Management-related support to a wide variety of utility and engineering projects in the water and energy sectors.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Desired experience includes all facets of GIS including geodatabase design, data development, high-end analysis, and server and enterprise administration. The successful candidate will also have the opportunity (if not already established) to develop expertise in the integration of GIS with other technologies such as custom program management dashboards, Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS) and hydraulic modeling.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Performs analytical, technical, and/or developmental tasks, such as:
• Responsible for completion of moderately complex GIS processes including: data compilation, analysis, manipulation and mapping.
• Assists in the development of water, waste/storm water utility modeling and master plans, asset management / CMMS implementations, facility integrity studies, site selection / routing studies, alternative energy investigations, data compilation, and analysis projects.
• Supports multi-divisional initiatives within Water, Power, Telecom, and Management Consulting.
• Evaluates spatial data needs for projects, which may include utilization of client data, acquisition of data from various sources and data creation.
• Assists in project setup and maintenance of SQL Server databases to support program management dashboards.
• Translates / inputs existing data, including site plans and hardcopy / electronic maps into a common format.
• Prepares user guides and technical memorandum to document workflows, processes and training materials for a variety of activities.
• Works with project team to prepare proposals, technical papers, presentations, reports and implementation plans; define GIS application strategies; and to develop detailed project deliverables.
• Ensures compliance with project requirements of accuracy / specifications for scope of service and overall quality.
• Establishes and maintains required files to document data references, analytical methods, calculations and rationale used in reaching conclusions.
• Performs additional tasks specific to an area of expertise or technology.
Bachelors' degree in Physical, Earth, or Life Science from an accredited university; or equivalent job-related experience. Typically a minimum of 5 years of experience performing related activities. Solid knowledge of GIS applications / development tools as applicable. Understanding of engineering-related concepts and functions desired. UK Qualifications: Working towards industry recognised qualification or chartership e.g. RGS chartered Geographer.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree in GIS, Physical, Earth, Life Science, Engineering, or Computer Science from an accredited university; or equivalent job-related work experience.
• 5 years of GIS experience in a dynamic and diverse information analysis environment.
• Proficient with Esri ArcGIS suite of applications and extensions and Microsoft Office tools.
• Knowledge of ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server, enterprise databases (SQL Server or Oracle).
• Solid understanding and aptitude for working with relational databases.
• Excellent time / data management, communication, and interpersonal skills required.
• Experience developing, monitoring, and managing project deliverables, budgets, and schedules.
• Enthusiastic about learning, pushing technical limits, and finding new solutions.
Additional Beneficial Skills
Experience with the following is considered advantageous:
• Exposure to engineering-related concepts and functions (i.e., technical experience in GIS support of water distribution or wastewater collection systems).
• Familiarity with GIS components of hydraulic modeling and/or CMMS applications (such as Lucity, Cityworks, Cartegraph, Infor, Maximo, etc.).
• Experience with Model Builder, Python, web development, or similar.
• Familiarity of AutoCAD or MicroStation and conversion to/from GIS.
• Familiarity with FME ETL tools or similar.