Human Resources Director - Employee Relations
IL-Chicago, KS-Overland Park
Date published: 18-Oct-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Corporate-Admin
Business Plan: ADM
Develops strategy and oversees the execution of all Employee Relations activities and function for the corporation globally, including developing sound policies and practices that contribute to mitigating/minimizing losses related to employment law issues. Partners with all COE functional areas on HR strategies. Additionally, provides strategic leadership and influences HR strategies and execution with all HR Business Partners in the BV Business Lines. As a bridge to the Corporate HR COE’s with the HRBP community -- ensures integrated and cohesive program delivery globally. Directs corporate inclusion and diversity initiatives. Develops and directs positive employee relations initiatives and leads HR Business Partners throughout the enterprise to ensure sound practices and compliance with labor laws globally. Develops global HR compliance practices and policy framework working with BV Legal. Works under general direction of the CHRO and VP of Integrated Services & Solutions.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Leads, educates and guides HRBPs and business line executives, managers, and supervisors in management practices that help ensure equitable treatment of professionals, and in compliance with employment law. Company liaison for employment litigation, in collaboration with in-house counsel.
• Fosters positive employee relations throughout the company by identifying, developing and driving philosophies and programs to improve employee engagement in the workplace.
• Considers and recommends initiatives and efforts that will support BV’s growth and successful EPC execution for the enterprise.
• Directs inclusion and diversity initiatives, Employee Resource Groups, affirmative action outreach and education programs, AAP audits and goal attainment.
• As Company EEO officer, directs investigations of internal complaints to resolve problems and reduce number of formal claims and charges. Collaborates with the Legal and Risk Management Department in responding to all federal and state employment claims and charges (including, as needed, preparing for defense of claims and participating in formal discovery in connections with lawsuits).
• Acts as resource to management and Human Resources Business Partners in employment law and the application/interpretation of policies.
• Develops policies, procedures and programs to promote fair and efficient management of performance issues and reductions in force, in order to reduce legal risks. Assists top management, including CEO and Division Presidents, with staff reductions and employee relations issues.
• Directs management of U.S. human resource policies. Ensures the Personnel Policy & Procedures Manual (PPPM) is updated, is in compliance with U.S. state and federal laws, and meets current business needs. Collaborates with HR leaders outside the U.S. to develop and maintain a global policy framework.
• Directs Dept. of Labor and OFCCP compliance activities, to include audit responses. Directs development and production of the Company’s Affirmative Action Plans for all U.S. locations. Company representative for all compliance reviews, negotiations and conciliation agreements. Directs providing EEO/AAP certifications and other information needed for bids and proposals.
• As a member of the Corporate Compliance Council, supports strategic efforts to establish and enforce the Code of Conduct for ethical and honest business practices. Participates with company’s General Counsel in the intake, and resolution of complaints and reports made to the company’s Alert Line, audits and related claims or litigation.
• Directs the company’s Employee Assistance Program.
• Acts as mentor and expert resource for HR Business Partners and other leaders.
• Supports CHRO on special projects, team assignments, issue analysis, and other responsibilities as assigned.
• Identifies and assesses improvement opportunities which will add value. Champions continuous improvement efforts.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field. .
Experience: 10-15+ years as a Human Resource Manager with proven skills in the areas of employee relations, employment law, HR policy development, workplace corrective action, AAPs, and the investigation and successful resolution of complaints, charges and legal claims in a large for-profit company.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Experience with global workforce needs and compliance with international country labor laws.
• Extensive knowledge of U.S. federal, state and local employment laws and employee relations trends.
• Thorough understanding of U.S. EEO and Affirmative Action Plans, processes and procedures.
• Basic knowledge of union environment.
• Strong Human Relations skills (written, verbal, client service).
• Strong Leadership capability (team building, coaching, mentoring, change management, advising)
• Strong negotiation and conflict management skills.
• Strong problem-solving skills and ability to conduct thorough investigations effectively and efficiently.
• Strong supervisory skills