Hydro Hydraulic Engineer
Date published: 18-May-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENG
Black & Veatch delivers design, procurement and construction solutions that help to provide safe drinking water and effective wastewater management to communities worldwide. We serve public and private clients of every size with a strong focus on life cycle economy, efficiency and reliability.<br><br>We find innovative solutions to protect water at its source, treat it to the highest standards, and deliver it to homes and businesses. Then we collect and treat wastewater before reintroducing it safely back into the environment
Functions in a mid level engineer capacity, or technical specialist. Under general supervision, performs all aspects of conventional design engineering and analysis. Broadens knowledge and skill set in area of discipline. May start to expand knowledge in other disciplines and/or functional areas.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Engineering Standards: Continues to learn and remains current on departmental design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and B&V policies and procedures. Applies to assigned tasks as appropriate. Quality / Continuous Improvement: Begins to independently apply knowledge and complies with B&V quality program relative to assigned tasks. Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts. Engineering Production: Prepares a variety of moderately complex engineering deliverables. Performs complex research and develops recommendations for equipment and/or materials selection. Collects, assimilates, and manages data for engineering work. Prepares complex engineering calculations following standard methods and principles. Understands and adheres to budget, schedule, and quality requirements. Recognizes, defines and resolves problems within assigned area. May provide direction and guidance to others. Project Coordination: Assigns tasks to and coordinates with other internal/external team members on less complex projects. Initiates contact with other disciplines as needed to identify and coordinate details of the work. Client Focus: Actively seeks to understand client interests and drivers through normal client contact and through interaction and communication with project leadership. Applies understanding of client interests and drivers to their own behavior and performance of the work under his/her responsibility. May provide support to business development or pursuit activities. Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology: Shares current knowledge of latest technology and processes. People Management - (supervision, career development, training, mentoring): May assist with performance management process, mentoring, recognition, and any corrective actions required.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 3 years related work experience All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual to perform the following tasks:
• Prepare hydraulic models of open channel systems to evaluate flow depths and flooding potential
• Prepare hydraulic models of pressurized systems to evaluate losses, analyze transients, improve efficiencies, and identify system limitations
• Perform pipeline friction loss calculations and pipe sizing and material selection
• Perform pump sizing and selection
• Prepare of technical documents
• Assist in technical review of hydraulics of water treatment plants
• Develop hydrologic studies
The preferred candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
• Post-graduate studies in hydraulics and hydraulic structures OR 1-3 years’ experience in hydraulic modeling
• Strong understanding of hydraulic principals.
• Familiarity with HEC-RAS, or other 1D hydraulic modeling software
• Familiarity with ArcGIS or other GIS applications
• Strong desire to learn and specialize within the domain of hydraulics
• Familiarity with hydrologic parameters, hydrologic modeling approaches, and evaluation of hydrologic data.