Infrastructure Planning Engineer - Water Business
Date published: 15-Sep-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENG
Black & Veatch is a leader in planning and asset management, offering expertise with water, wastewater, recycled water, and storm water. We understand the issues involved in providing water and wastewater system planning efforts that include master planning, hydraulic and water quality modeling, demand/flow projections, asset management, energy efficiency/optimization, and CIP development and financial projections. Knowledge of the latest technology and skill in the use of the most up-to-date tools – including geographic information systems (GIS), demand/flow analysis programs, and the latest hydraulic models. Black & Veatch takes pride in our professionals’ ability to see the entire water delivery cycle, from water supply to wastewater disposal. This vision allows our professionals to create more resilient systems and generate overall long-term cost savings for our Clients. With an integrated global workforce of highly skilled and experienced scientists, engineers and technicians, we are well-equipped to handle all water and wastewater infrastructure concerns. In addition to receiving top rankings in many engineering journals, the Water business has helped to shape regulatory approaches and develop innovative technologies, which further distinguish Black & Veatch from other engineering firms.
Black & Veatch has an exciting opportunity for an Infrastructure Planning Engineer in Kansas City, MO. The ideal candidate will have previous experience with water system hydraulic modeling and planning and have a strong interest in specializing in water and wastewater system planning studies.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Our U.S. infrastructure planning business has seen consistent growth driven by our clients’ needs to address challenges stemming from water scarcity, climate variability, aging infrastructure and the need for better asset management systems, reduction in revenues, and evolving water quality regulations. In Missouri and many other areas of the U.S., we anticipate an increased demand for water, wastewater, recycled water infrastructure planning and design driven by population growth and aging infrastructure, as well as by new regulations and the increasing need to improve system resiliency. This position reflects Black & Veatch’s need to growth our Infrastructure Planning Team in the Midwest as well as nationally.
• Serve as an Infrastructure Planning Engineer in Black & Veatch’s industry leading National Planning group
• Local, national, and global project assignment opportunities
• Use of cutting edge hydraulic modeling and GIS software to solve client issues
• Performs system analyses and calculations with software tools and develops concise reports document results
• Duties focus in the areas of water and wastewater hydraulic modeling, master planning, asset management, and water supply planning
• Perform and manage technical work on water and wastewater system modeling and planning studies:
o Capital Improvement Program (CIP) planning
o Evaluating water system water quality
o Planning water distribution and wastewater collection systems
o Analyzing historical demands/flows and preparing future demand/flow projections
o Pumping and storage capacity analyses
o Financial analyses and projections
• Support marketing and business development activities related to water, wastewater, and recycled water system planning and asset management
• Build relationships with key infrastructure planning leaders in the Kansas City market area and throughout the Midwest
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 5 years related work experience All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Experience and/or familiarity with Geographic Information System (GIS) technology and GIS software (i.e. ArcGIS)
• Capable in MSWord, MSExcel, PowerPoint
• Experience and/or familiarity with hydraulic modeling software such as:
o WaterGEMS / SewerGEMS
o WaterCAD / SewerCAD
o InfoWater / InfoSewer
o EPA Net / EPA SWMM