Fiber Allocation Specialist
Date published: 17-Aug-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ENS
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
The OSP Fiber Allocation Specialist is responsible for the design and planning of fiber optic cable splicing records for both feeder and distribution fiber optic networks. It requires close coordination with design and graphics personnel to support the final work product. Typical responsibilities range from the initial determination of the fiber counts required, routing of fiber counts, and fiber allocation design concepts. It includes aspects such as GIS based detailed designs, single line drawings and a bill of material for procurement. The design engineer is fully responsible and accountable for the final design content and document generation to support construction crews in placement of the physical fiber infrastructure and turn over documentation for the client.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
70% - Design formulation
25% - Design review and quality assurance
• The primary role is to create all necessary splicing prints/port assignments and power loss budgets for an OSP fiber optic network design/construciton project.
• Attend Engineering team meetings and follow up design calls.
• Coordinate with the route design team on specific design requirements.
• Review preliminary client route design and facility specifics.
• Assure designs meet client design standards.
• Support the team by participating sharing lessons learned.
• Perform design within allocated budgets and time frames.
• Provide design lead with updates on progress and roadblocks.
• Utilize GIS/Visio/Excel and other design software support tools.
• Advise the Engineering Lead regarding design progress and roadblocks discovered during the design process.
• Participate in developing process improvement concepts.
• Review client specifications and track the scope of work changes and design criteria.
• Perform detailed fiber allocation design in 3-GIS.
• Participate in design reviews for quality and cost improvements.
• Understand project milestones. Monitor status of milestones, and provide regular updates to team lead.
• Maintain project records and files, in Documentum and SharePoint.
• Support QC and as built efforts with design changes.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree in engineering technology or sciences preferred or any other degree, specialized training, or experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities.
• Minimum of 2+ years related work experience in OSP fiber detailed design or planning.
• Experience or formal training in fiber allocation (splicing) detailed design.
• Experience in interpreting client request and apply design standards to work product.
• Basic level of understanding of outside plant fiber optic network infrastructure and design alternatives available.
• Familiar with OSP fiber construction concepts.
• Strong interpersonal, analytical and communication skills.
• Flexible and able to think quickly working to resolve design issues and make detailed design decisions.
• Able to work on multiple designs at once.
• Produces daily design quota with minimal supervision.