Date published: 12-Oct-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: FIN
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Responsible for performing basic to intermediate level accounting duties of assigned projects, such as revenue recognition, transactional accounting, moderately complex invoicing. Typically responsible for basic analysis, forecasting, budgeting and reporting. Also responsible for working closely with management to provide financial insight on the performance of assigned projects. Provides resolution of basic issues. Ensures the project is in compliance with contractual obligations, as appropriate. Works under close supervision.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Generates, audits and distributes draft invoices and/or credit memos to Project Management for review based on understanding of contract. Obtains appropriate approval and distributes accordingly. Researches and resolves basic to moderately complex invoice matters.
• Generates tax calculations to ensure accurate billing.
• Monitors cash collections by actively communicating aging risk to project management to determine necessary collection actions. May communicate with clients regarding past due invoices.
• Researches and responds to project related questions as requested. Provides basic analysis and recommendations.
• Reviews revenue recognition on project income statement for accuracy and identifies deviations from budget compared to forecast.
• May prepare and analyze project budget & forecast.
• Communicates project financial information to management for assigned projects. Identifies and communicates material variances.
• Complexity and volume is limited to transaction level details and basic projects of standard and non-standard contract terms.
• May assist with audit requests by providing supporting documentation.
Supervisory & Resource Management:
• Supports continuous improvement efforts and the change management effects associated with the implementation of improvement
Primary Internal Clients:
• Primary internal clients are project managers, project controls, finance managers and/or finance supervisors.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent experience. Typically 2+ years related experience.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Strong MS Excel skills
• Ability to multi-task/handle volume
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, decision making ability, integrity
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Microsoft Word, Access, PowerPoint, Basic
• Microsoft Excel, Intermediate
• Knowledge of Black & Veatch Systems, Basic
• Knowledge of percent complete accounting, Basic
• Technical accounting knowledge, Basic
• Knowledge of Financial Statement analysis, Basic
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Customer Focus
• Written Communications
• Action Oriented
• Peer Relationships
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Problem Solving