Technical Services Manager
Date published: 10-Jan-2019
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ADM
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
The Technical Services Manager is responsible for developing, implementing, and supporting processes and tools to manage critical business information. This position identifies and champions IT process and tool improvements that will positively impact the execution of Telecom projects and ensures that decisions regarding IT products and services align with the Division’s strategic goals and objectives. The Technical Services Manager drives interaction between business and IT in terms of addressing organizational communication and teaming and supervises project IT personnel.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Tools and Processes
• Understands the business’ operations and challenges related to data management, and identifies possible solutions
• Maintain working knowledge of IT standards and interfaces for Telecom business processes as it relates to project management, document management, accounting, design, etc.
• Develops the business case to support recommendations for enhanced IT tools and processes.
• Participates in system analysis and feasibility studies and assist in preparation of system requirements and design specifications.
• Manages implementation of new IT tools and process with expected cost, quality, schedule, security, and communication results. Coordinates with technology project managers to integrate IT activities with functional business activities. For the functional activities, scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops schedules and task/people assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
• Ensures effective use of existing tools and processes.
• Integrates IT processes with the Division’s Quality Management System.
• Manage budget, vendors, and internal functional and IT resources to effectively execute your solution strategy
• Manage and coordinate the analysis/design, development, technical documentation and implementation of solution applications and related projects
• Manage project and release scope, develop project plans & deliverables, detailed work plans, schedules, project estimates, resource plans and status reports
• Collaborates and effectively leads cross-functional teams with business unit leadership in developing project objectives, change requests and timelines
• Strong focus on customer centricity and the needs of the customer in application design and support
• Provide team reports to management and participate in decision-making process within the Project organization to guide solution delivery
Compliance and Risk Management
• Champions the Business ‘compliance practices (including compliance with client requirements) related to digital information, IT assets, user behaviors and auditing regimen.
• Periodically audits asset management and usage records (including air cards and cell phones) to ensure accuracy and control costs.
• Assesses business and technical risks associated with software delivery, enhancements or projects
Planning and Budgeting
• Participates in planning and budgeting of division hardware and software needs and prepares equipment forecasts.
• Along with key project and IT stakeholders, participate in development and maintenance of B&V/Telecom standard software/hardware/services.
• Ensure that hardware and software is adequately matched and prioritized to user needs.
Governance and Project Oversight
• Participates in IT/business coordination meetings as designated.
• Acts in leadership capacity for critical software
• Interfaces with the HP Service Delivery Manager and the B&V IT Performance Manager for ongoing IT activities and action items, and reports status to Division senior management.
• Monitors IT related activity within the division and ensures compliance with corporate policies and procedures.
Minimum of 3 years’ experience performing duties comparable to those of a Contract Administrator 5. Bachelors degree in Business Administration, Accounting or related field.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done; knows how to organize people and activities; understands how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow; knows what to measure and how to measure it; can see opportunities for synergy and integration where others can't; can simplify complex processes; gets more out of fewer resources.
• Can negotiate skillfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups; can settle differences with minimum noise; can win concessions without damaging relationships; can be direct and forceful as well as diplomatic; gains trust quickly of other parties to the negotiations; has a good sense of timing.
• Ability to identify and clearly communicate project scope and manage client expectations.
• Thorough understanding of planning, analysis, implementation, and testing techniques required to support medium-scale business operations systems
• Strong working knowledge/ experience in functional business areas, such as finance, accounting, information technology or business operations
• Ability to act in a consultative role to understand functional business processes and related information technology needs and to develop relevant solutions and delivery proposals
• Ability to effectively manage multiple assignments and priorities
• Demonstrated history of applying varied approaches to solve complex business support challenges of significance to the organization
• Advanced knowledge of standard business tools such as MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, etc.), Microsoft Project, Microsoft Visio
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Able to work autonomously and with excellent time management skills
• Ability to work with others in a team environment is required
• Proficiency with the following systems: budget management, vendor management, project management, product management, business process analysis