Telecom Civil/Structural Engineering Department Manager
Date published: 10-Jan-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Telecom
Business Plan: ENG
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
The Civil/Structural Engineering Department Manager identifies and assigns resources to projects as needed to ensure project work is completed with the quality needed to meet the contractual obligation, on time and within the budget. Independently develops and applies advanced engineering techniques, concepts and approaches to unique engineering problems. May supervise engineering staff on projects of medium to high complexity, or serve as a technical specialist providing knowledge and expertise.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensure efficiency of internal engineering processes, communication and quality of deliverables.
• In conjunction with division management, develop strategic and long-term resource planning as needed to support the Business lines. Coordinate with Business Line and functional leads to forecast short and intermediate-term resource needs and implement them.
• Adjusts resource pool to meet Business Line and project needs. Selects candidates to fill open positions. Develops relationships with other B&V business units to facilitate transfer of talent between Telecom & business units.
• Establish and maintain engineering capabilities that are recognized by Telecom professionals, clients, and competitors as leaders in the industry
• Coordinate with project management in the development of project execution plans.
• Provide proposal support, develop LOEs and participate in the development of proposals and strategies.
• Review and approve technical qualifications of engineering related subcontractors.
• Develop staffing and expense forecasts for projects and 15-month forecast.
• Manage Department budgets, productivity, training and other OH costs.
• Provide input to and ensure adherence to the Corporate Safety program for all fielding resources.
• Provide input to and ensure adherence to the Division’s Quality Management System
• Work with the Chief Technology Manager to leverage the most effective project tools.
• Support training efforts and mentor professionals within the Dept.
• Assists in establishing goals for the Department and its professionals.
• Software Bundle/Application management for Civil, Structural and Fielding resources.
• Designs OJT opportunities and/or rotational assignments for skill and career development
• Mentor and advise professionals in executing project assignments; review work and deliverables
• Succession Planning
• Travel as required
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 11 years related work experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Minimum of 15 years of Engineering and 3 years telecommunications experience
• PE required
• Ability to research and apply technical information
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills
• Ability to create and lead diverse teams of Engineers and Technicians
Written Communications, Drive For Results, Decision Quality, Priority Setting, Planning, Delegation, Directing Others, Conflict Management, Informing, Listening, Dealing with Ambiguity, Customer Focus, Building Effective Teams.