Substation Project Design Engineer
Date published: 10-Nov-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Power
Business Plan: ENG
Functions as a technical specialist in the design of substations and able to lead a team performing design of high voltage electrical substation projects for the top domestic electric utility companies. Experience producing construction documents for the physical and electrical aspects of substation projects including high voltage physical arrangement, ac and dc station service systems and grounding. Must have strong leadership capabilities including the ability to lead a portion of substation design or lead an entire substation project.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Functions as a technical specialist in the design of substations and able to lead a team performing design of high voltage electrical substation projects for the top domestic electric utility companies. Proficient working knowledge of substation high voltage protection design or physical design including one line, schematics, wiring diagrams, substation, arrangement, electrical clearances, rigid bus design, raceway, lighting, protection, grounding analysis, and technical specifications.. Must have strong leadership capabilities including the ability to lead a portion of substation design or lead an entire substation project.
• The candidate will have substation design experience in transmission level voltages 69kV and above with a strong understanding of applicable industry codes and standard design practices.
• Professional Engineering License preferred.
• Mentors and teaches design engineers and technicians.
• Assists in the preparation of project proposals, including: engineering and construction cost estimates, the planning of project approach, conceptual design, budgeting and scheduling.
• Promotes a quality focused culture and effectively implements Black & Veatch’s thorough quality assurance program.
• Accountable for managing engineering design for substation projects, including engineering schedule and budget performance, quality of engineering solutions and deliverables, and close coordination with procurement and construction professionals.
• Develops strong relationships with and becomes a trusted partner with clients. Responsible for identifying key client interests and drivers on projects. Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develops approaches to accommodate those objectives. Works to identify future client needs and how to better position B&V to best serve those needs..
• Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 5 years related work experience
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Displays strengths in the areas of: Written Communications, Drive for Results, Decision Quality, Priority Setting, Planning, Delegation, Directing Others, Conflict Management, Informing, Listening, Dealing with Ambiguity, Customer Focus, and Building Effective Teams.