Welding Engineer 5
Date published: 14-Mar-2018
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Power
Business Plan: ENG
Black & Veatch provides engineering, technology, consulting and construction solutions that span the life cycle of projects in power generation, hydrocarbon processing, mining, water and waste water treatment, and transmission pipelines. Our services encompass planning, design, procurement, construction, startup, optimization and maintenance.
Functions as a technical specialist or in a lead role. Under general direction, develops and applies advanced engineering techniques, concepts and approaches to complex engineering problems. May provide technical guidance over a group or supervise engineers.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
This position represents a material consultant / technical expert role. The candidate should have extensive experience in the piping and equipment fabrication and welding industry. Job responsibilities include the following:
• Review general project objectives and establish material, welding and heat treatment requirements and specifications for projects such as for power generation, hydrocarbon processing, mining, gas, oil, chemical, water and waste water treatment, transmission pipelines, etc.
• Review contractor submittals (e.g., welding procedures, material of construction, heat treatment, NDE, hydrostatic testing, etc.) to ensure the requirements of the applicable manufacturing code / standard (e.g. ASME, AWS, AWWA , API, etc.), Black & Veatch Specifications and client/owner requirements are met.
• Develop WPSs and corresponding PQRs for Black & Veatch Construction.
• Interface with Construction Site QC personnel relative to all materials of construction, special fabrication, NDE, testing, and welding issues.
• Conduct surveillances and inspections of piping / equipment suppliers and contractors and report results.
• Identify material and welding non-conformances and deficiencies and assess or develop proposed corrective actions and preventative actions .
• Attend and participate in meetings, conferences and committees (ASME and AWS), and provide material and weld training when required.
• Interface with Black & Veatch Managers, Project Engineers. QA /QC personnel as well as Contractor representatives.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 8 years related work experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Strong familiarity with carbon steel, high strength low alloy steel, stainless steel and nickel alloy materials, welding, heat treatment and general fabrication practices and NDE and the ability to understand and interpret requirements of various fabrication codes, standards and specifications.
Basic computer skills such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Welding Procedure Software.
Good written and oral communication with solid interpersonal skills.
Good team player.
AWS CWI Certification or the ability to promptly obtain certification.